Friday 29 April 2011

A very Christian Wedding for a once great Christian Nation…


£175.00 -The Holy Bible, Magenta Collection by Smythson

**I really enjoy being good! I really enjoy buying/paying for the right train tickets no matter how costly. I enjoy saying don’t worry as I wait in queues behind the slow and the less able! I’m pleased to say it ok as the angry and hurried push and bump into me -and saying hello/good morning and what a lovely day to my neighbours etc -all the things that used to kill me in my twenties. But mostly, I enjoying authority -the very thing that used to send me into a tailspin -and I put it all down to my Christ Lord Jesus -and my faith in God, whom I am pleased to say was truly Glorified in the wedding ceremony of the year.

Feeling uber proud to be black/Ghanaian-British -I found the service to be both beautiful and highly emotional. It reminded of England -of-old, it’s great past (and the other stuff -but lets not go there today) -and of its very great Christian past. A past that respected, acknowledged, magnified and honoured God! Majestic, neat and grown up -the service word by word was utterly beautiful. Why aren’t churches in this great nation filled on Sundays? Because, and I’m guessing now, -there was less crime, less disrespect and more hope. And that’s what this wedding represented to me -hope!

The majesty of Westminster Abbey, the lovely service, Kat’s regal dress and Wills army uniformed -all added to the splendour of the occasion but for me it was the words and prayers of the traditional service that moved me the most -making me feel hopeful that all will be alright! From the lovely words of Guide Me O Thou Great Redeemer by Peter Willkims (1726-94)

Guide me, O thou great redeemer,
Pilgrim through this barren land;
I am weak, but thou art mighty,
Hold me with thy powerful hand;
Bread of heaven, bread of heaven
Feed me till I want no more;
Feed me till I want no more


To the reading by Kate’s brother James from Romans 12 Verse 1-21


1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.


2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.


3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.


4 For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function,


5 so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.


6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith;


7 if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach;


8 if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.


9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.


13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.


14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.


15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.


16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.


17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord.


20 On the contrary:


“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”


21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good


To the lovely lesson by one of the priests who quoted;

“Be who God made you to be then you shall set the world alight” -an extract by St Catherine… -was all sooo breathtakingly exquisite. All pointing to a time when England included God in all it great affairs -and prospered -for it. Its sort of made me fall more in love with God (if that is possible) and made me uber proud to be a fashionable Christian. I’m going to find out whether its possible to get my Smythson bible blinged-up with Swarovski crystals.. Bless to you all. XXXX For more details about the above Bible visit: http://www.smythson.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment