Friday 28 August 2009

Art: Sunflowers By Van Gogh


After a meeting in Charing X last week, I had an hour to spare before a quick 'catch-up' with my friend Ingrid at St.Pauls [I must take my son to one of their Sunday services] -and off cause there was no contest [surrounded by Museums] -it was time to visit my dearest and oldest friend, 'Sunflowers' By Van Gogh -at The National Gallery. I truly love this 'Post Impressionist' painting. But I don't know why! One of four versions of sunflowers that Vincent van Gogh painted, this version [with 15 sunflowers] was painted in Arles, in 1888 -and is now happily hanging in Room 45 at The National Gallery -moving me and freaking me out in equal measures [-depending on the time or day]. But I am sooo drawn to it. I don't know if it's because of Van Gogh [the famous Dutch artist's story is very moving], or it's beauty [lets face it, - at times it looks more sad than beautiful] or the optimism of the yellow [used sooo richly throughout, -even though, -when viewed with a hundred jumpy tourist behind you, -it can take on a brownish hue] or the fact that millions of people have stood in that same room -in awe of this [majestic] painting? .....What I do know -is I find the shabby chicness of the sunflowers comforting -and I can't believe how thick the paint is [on closer inspection] -and I'm crazy about the brush strokes.... and at times the experience is very spiritual. Sunflowers By Van Gogh can be found in Room 45 at The National Gallery. www.nationalgallery.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment